英语题【翻译和填空】a way to do
first passenger railway opened 【 in
in 1825】对括号部分提问【
passenger railway open._百度作业帮
英语题【翻译和填空】a way to do
first passenger railway opened 【 in
in 1825】对括号部分提问【
passenger railway open.
英语题【翻译和填空】a way to do &sth[ & & & & & & & & ]The &first passenger railway opened 【 in &England &in 1825】对括号部分提问【 & &】and [ & & ][ & & &]the &first &passenger railway open.
a way to do sth 做事情的方式When was the first passenger railway open?Early Protestant Marriages
Anglican Marriages in Buenos Aires prior to 1825
Through the quirks of what documents survive the depredations of the passing of time, the capriciousness of whether or not families preserve their papers and which official files are retained and which not, we know little about the lives of the first British merchants who established themselves in Buenos Aires between the time of the invasiones ingleses in 1806-7 and the formal recognition by Great Britain of the Government of Buenos Aires in 1824.
Undoubtedly some merchants arrived with wife and family. Others fell in love and married either local girls or one of the few young women who arrived as members of a British household. To obtain the services of a clergyman the British residents in Buenos Aires who were not members of the Roman Catholic Church, had little choice but to convert.
However, there was a slender alternative possibility given by access to the captains of the warships of the British Navy that were stationed at the River Plate during this period. Evidence has recently been found of a number of marriages solemnized by Royal Navy captains, of which the details are given below.
In John Ludlam's memoirs, he writes: &1813&I married to a sister of Peter Kendall. The ceremony was performed by Capt. Peter Heywood, R.N.,...commanding the &Nereus& frigate, no Protestant clergyman being in the Country. I believe I was the first Englishman of the then limited community married in Buenos Aires&.
A transcript of a typical marriage document is given below, with the location of the original document.
These are to certify unto all whom it may concern that the undersigned James Barton a native of Wigan in the County of Lancaster and Anna MacKinlay native of London in the county of Middlesex were married by me (at their own desire & the consent and approbation of their friends present) this Twenty eighth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifteen at Buenos Ayres in South America where the Roman Catholic religion alone is permitted, and where no Protestant clergyman could be procured. Given under my hand in the city of Buenos Ayres this 28th Day of December 1815.
&C. Montague Fabian, Captain of His Majesty's Ship the Orpheus and Senior Officer
&James Barton&&&&Anna MacKinlay
In the presence of us
Thomas Eastman&&&Robert Staples&&&James Brittain
Thomas Barton jnr.&&&D. MacKinlay
Robert Barton
Source: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London. Document: ms/89/004
More recently, through the kindness of several friends, it has been possible to add further marriages that were celebrated during these years. There will undoubtedly be more to emerge.
Date of marriaged/m/yy
Man's name
Woman's name
Married in
Officiating Minister
Source of information
Ludlam, John
Kendall, Matilda
Alfreton, Derbyshire
Buenos Ayres
Captain P. Heywood, H.M.S. Nereus
John Ludlam's memoirs
Brittain, James
Kendall, Frances
Alfreton, Derbyshire
Buenos Ayres
Captain P. Heywood, H.M.S. Nereus
Thomas Eastman, Jno. McNeile, John S. Leigh, Peter Kendall, D. MacKinlay
Bishop of London's Memorandum, page 234
30/10/1813
Heathfield, Frederick
Wild, Eliza Leonora
London(father: James Wild)
off Buenos Ayres
Captain William Bowles, H.M.S. Aquilon
Maxine Hanon
Byrne, John Joseph
Brocksopp, Hannah
off Buenos Ayres
Captain C. Montague Fabian, H.M.S. Orpheus
James Barton, Domingo Sosa
Robert Wells *
28/12/1815
Barton, James
Wigan, Lancashire
MacKinlay, Anna
Buenos Ayres
Captain C. Montague Fabian, H.M.S. Orpheus
Thomas Eastman, Robert Staples, James Brittain, Thomas Barton, jnr., D. MacKinlay, Robert Barton
National Maritime Museum, London, ms/89/004
Fair, Thomas
Coldstream, Berwickshire, Scotland
Kendall, Harriott
Alfreton, Derbyshire
Buenos Ayres
The Times, 24/7/1818, page 3f
Barton, Thomas
Wild, Rosina Leonora
London(father: James Wild)
off Buenos Ayres
Robert Staples, and afterwards Rev. J. Kirkby, Chaplain, H.M.S. Owen Glendower
Maxine Hanon
Thompson, John (w)
Parish of St George, Surrey
Brocksopp, Martha
County of Derby
off Buenos Ayres
HMS Owen Glendower
John Stewart, Harriet McGaw, James McGaw
Robert Wells
Whitfield, Thomas C.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Macfarlane, Jane
off Buenos Ayres
Captain D. H. O'Brien, H.M.S. Slaney
Thomas Eastman, John Oughan, George Macfarlane, James Macfarlane
Maxine Hanon
Keen, George
Birmingham
Yates, Mary
Herefordshire
off Buenos Ayres
Captain D. H. O'Brien, H.M.S. Slaney
William Yates, Maria Lattimori, Thomas Hanger
Maxine Hanon
* An photograph of this marriage certificate can be found in E. M. Fern&ndez-G&mez, Gesta Brit&nica: Estancias y Estancieros, vol. A, illustration 9.
There were undoubtedly more such marriages, but, so far, there are no details for them. However, with the opening of the British Consulate in Buenos Aires in 1824, a formal way of recording such marriages was commenced. This has survived in the opening pages of the first St. John's Church Marriage Register.
By now a more diplomatic form of words for the marriage entry had been adopted, as seen in the transcription of the second marriage in the register.
Be it remembered that Thomas Widdows Reeve widower of the parish of Shipston in Worcestershire & Ann Marley of St Mary's Parish Bury St. Edmonds Suffolk were on this fourteenth day of June 1824 married by me according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England in the presence of Woodbine Parish Esqr. H. B. Majesty's Consul General and divers other witnesses.
&Robert Whitehead, Chaplain of H.M.'s [Ship] Briton
&Thomas W. Reeve&&&&Ann Reeve late Marley
Woodbine Parish, H.B.M.'s Consul General
James Faunch&&&Mary Faunch
Source: Archives of St John's Anglican Cathedral, Buenos Aires, register 30.20.01. Entry B
Woodbine Parish, on being appointed His Britannic Majesty's Agent in Buenos Aires, found that the British residents there were anxious about the possible irregularity of the marriages conducted before his arrival. Six months later, he wrote to the British Foreign Secretary in London, raising this question.
Despatch 45 of Woodbine Parish to the Rt. Honble Geo. Canning
Buenos Ayres, 26 September 1824
In my despatch No. 20 I adverted to the serious inconvenience felt here from the absence of any clergyman of the Church of England. Of this inconvenience none perhaps are of greater consequence than the difficulty which has been expressed by Protestants in a Catholic country with respect to the proper solemnisation of the marriage ceremony. The practice which had obtained here previously to my arrival amongst the British Protestants was to have this ceremony performed by the Captain of any of H.M. Ships accidentally here or by one of the principal British merchants before sundry witnesses. Mr Staples also in some instances married parties in the absence of a clergyman.
Many individuals so married are now possessed of considerable property and have numerous families, but doubts having since arisen as to the admission of such marriages in Great Britain. I have the honor to request for the sake of the parties concerned that I may be informed how far such marriages would be held to be valid in England or in Scotland and how far the children of such marriages would be entitled to inherit real property. Should the result appear to be contrary to the Interests of the Parties concerned here I am requested earnestly to seek information as to the steps which they should forthwith take to legalise their respective marriages and offspring.
(signed) W. Parish
Source: The National Archives, Kew, FO 119/1, folios 35-6
George Canning replied reassuringly to Woodbine Parish as follows.
Foreign Office, February 19 1825
In reference to your Dispatch No. 45, wherein you state that doubts have arisen as to the validity of certain marriages contracted at Buenos Ayres without the interve and request to be informed how far such marriages would be held to be valid in England or in Scotland, I am now enabled to state to you that the case having been submitted to His Majesty's Advocate General, that Gentleman has reported, that there has been no instance within his knowledge of the validity of a marriage solemnized in the manner described by you being disputed. Such marriages will not be invalid, merely from defect of form, if they shall appear to have been contracted in the manner usual in such cases, and recognized by the Laws or Customs of the Country. It would be difficult to suggest any Provisions for the marriage of persons in foreign countries more favourable than the principle above stated. Declaratory dots for particular cases are not necessary for the security of the Parties and would not be advisable, as they might be liable to a construction prejudicial to cases not included. On these grounds I have to direct you not to encourage doubts upon this subject.I am & &, (signed) George Canning
Source: The National Archives, Kew, FO 354/2, folios 46-7
It is clear that there were a number of weddings in Buenos Aires that took place prior to 1824 between British subjects, details of which are not yet found. A careful search of the National Archives, Kew, has so far yielded no further data.英语短文填空,帮我填填.I was walking along the deserted street(空寂无人的街道)of a small seaside town in England looking for somewhere to make a phone call.My car had broken down outside the town and I wanted to get in touch with _百度作业帮
英语短文填空,帮我填填.I was walking along the deserted street(空寂无人的街道)of a small seaside town in England looking for somewhere to make a phone call.My car had broken down outside the town and I wanted to get in touch with
英语短文填空,帮我填填.I was walking along the deserted street(空寂无人的街道)of a small seaside town in England looking for somewhere to make a phone call.My car had broken down outside the town and I wanted to get in touch with the Automobile Association(汽车协会).Low grey clouds were drifting(游荡) a______(93) the sky and there was a cold wind blowing off the sea.I was g______(94) that I was wearing a thick coat.There was no sign of a call box,nor was there anyone at that early hour I could ask.I had thought I might find a shop selling the Sunday papers or milkman doing his job,b______(95) the town was completely dead.Then suddenly I found what I was looking for.There was a small post office,and it was a______(96) hidden from sight in a dark narrow street,next to it was the town’s only public call box.I h______(97) forward but stopped in astonishment(惊讶) when I saw through the dirty glass that there was a man inside.He was very fat,and was wearing a cheap blue plastic raincoat and rubber boots.I couldn’t see his face---he was bending(弯腰) forward over the phone with his back pressed(压) against the glass and didn’t even raise his head when he heard the s______(98) of my coming nearer and nearer.Carefully and surprisedly,I stood a few feet a______(99) from him and lit a cigarette to wait my turn.When I threw the dead match on the ground,I noticed something bright red trickling(滴)from under the call box door.
93across低低的灰色的运天空飘来飘去还有风...94glad我很高兴我穿了一件厚的外套95but,但是整个镇子完全是死寂的96almost,邮局几乎都藏的看不到 在一个又黑又窄的街道里 97hurried我匆匆赶上前但是吃惊的停住脚步98sound当他听到我越来越近的声音..99away我站着离他几英尺远并且点上烟等轮到我
glad(94)but(95)away(99)Letters on the State of Ireland: Addressed by J. K. L. to a Friend in England (1825) [精装]点评
给“Letters on the State of Irelan”的评论
评论标题:
评论内容:
设置标签(自定义标签空格分隔,最多4个标签)
&使用我的51比购网账号自动登录“”
&不使用51比购网账号登录
(也可在""进行设置)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
设置降价提醒
一旦商品降价,您将收到邮件,第一时间获知价格变化。
设置提醒:
自定义商家