有道题帮忙解答下~in manyflex statess, the laws allow stude...

JUPAS Admissions
“Studying Electronic Engineering here can make your dreams come true. I had opportunities to work on fascinating projects, participate in competitions, and join an internship to help me develop a wide range of technical and inter-personal skills, which are very useful for my career in the management field.”
“The University is the ideal place to broaden your horizons, and the Electronic Engineering program offers you the training to sharpen your analytical skills.”
&My education in ECE has equipped me with solid knowledge related to my career, like the Power Electronics and Photonics technology used on MTR trains and signaling systems. I am glad to have chosen the top Electronic Engineering program in Hong Kong.&
&I believe that the power of Electronic Engineering has always been changing human's life in this information era. When I was in secondary school, I visited HKUST and found that it put great emphasis on training professionals in technology. This is the reason why I chose the Electronic Engineering program in HKUST.
In these 3 years, I was given great flexibility in choosing different subjects that I was interested in. They covered a wide range of areas of electronic engineering and some business related topics. I also had the chance to take part in an exchange program in the National Taiwan University, which truly broadened my horizon. In addition, I had the opportunity to participate in various competitions by joining the HKUST robotics team.
For my final year project (FYP), my advisor Professor Bertram Shi gave professional advice and support to our group. Our team won the FYP Industry Day 2012 Gold Award with our project “Object Searching Robot with Kinect”, and some multinational companies showed great interest in our work.
I am now pursuing my MPhil (ECE) studies in HKUST, and I hope to become a successful engineer in the future.&
&I found the Electronic Engineering program curriculum offered by HKUST comprehensive and interesting. After entering HKUST, my excellent campus life began. I joined the student society, which strengthened my communication and leadership skills, and enabled me to meet a lot of friends.
In these three years, I was involved in many projects, and the most important one
was the final year project, where I had to build a multi-function digital photo frame with my teammates. Two goals
were completed in this project: it provided photo display and cognitive
training for elderly people who suffer from Alzheimer's disease. The project
was meaningful to me. Moreover, our final year project
also entered two design competitions and had satisfactory results. The valuable
experience helped me to build confidence and improve my presentation skills.
As engineering students, our team contributed to the society by
implementing our knowledge and skills into practice. I hope that I can develop my future career in Electronic Engineering, an area of great interest to me.&
&Studying at HKUST was
really tough. Everyone was tremendously busy and tense all the time. But being
the Chairperson of the ECE Students' Society, I found another side of campus
life. Although I had more work to do, I had learned how to cooperate with our
committee members and got to know many people from different departments. The
experience had certainly broadened my view and made my campus life more
meaningful.&
&The education I received
from HKUST was both strenuous and joyful. The assignment workload was enormous,
but I got the chance to study abroad as an exchange student. Without the
encouragement and support from the professors, I would not have been able to
fulfill my dream of pursuing overseas studies.&
Direct Admissions
“In my 2 years at Micom Tech, I have completed over 6 interesting projects related to student learning devices, blue tooth communication app, smart air-conditioner control system, etc., and I find the problem solving skills and hardware knowledge learned in the Electronic Engineering program highly beneficial to my work.”
&HKUST is a compelling mix of Asian culture (yes that includes the &study hard& part) and international exposure. The hallways flock with students hailing from countries you might never had heard of, yet it'll take only a step out the door to practice that
Cantonese you've been working on with a bus driver. And HKUST might even look a
little bit like yourself. It's young, ambitious, rapidly rising in a trajectory
so steep it makes you a little dizzy to look back and see how far it has come
in so few years. So take a chance, cling on for a ride. It might take you farther than you've ever expected.&
&Hong Kong is really a wonderful place for ambitious people to pursue their dreams with diligence and perseverance. People are amicable and friendly if you really approach them. Since I know the Cantonese
language, I find it easier to mix with local friends.
Campus life is satisfying. The breathtaking view of seaside and hillside is really romantic and fascinating. The academic building, the internet service facilities, library, laboratories and lecture theatres are very advanced and
user-friendly.
In Year 2 Fall Semester, I had taken an ISOM (information
system and operation management) course. The freedom to take general courses enhances our skills in management.&
is one of the most beautiful campuses you will ever see, with lots of green and
a wide range of facilities. There are a lot of places where you can hang out
with friends or by yourself. The library, the self-access center (a place with a huge collection of educational cds, dvds and movies and not to mention desktops with 19& LCD panels), the mini soccer pitch and the coffee shop are
my favorite hotspots.
In Year 1, the Digital Design course helped me understand the basics of a finite state machine and we ended up making a
digital counter that counts up to a certain value and then counts backwards. In
my CMOS VLSI design course, I came across the design process involved in the
making of transistors. In my 8051 microprocessor course, I helped make a device that controls the lights inside a room making sure no lights are turned on when there is no one inside.&
&The main duties of my current job are designing IC layouts and fundamental building block designs, and IC testing. During my undergraduate studies, I have learned theories related to IC design and layout techniques. All the IC design courses offered by the ECE Department have been helpful for my job.
I think the Internship Program of the ECE Department is useful for helping fresh graduates find jobs, especially in the economic downturn this year.&
&I chose to study in Hong Kong since I wanted to combine a quality engineering education with first-hand insights into China.
Looking back today HKUST was just the right choice for that: The flexible
curriculum of the electrical engineering program allowed me to select courses based on personal interest and specialization. State-of-the-art facilities and faculty of world class reputation ensure interesting and instructive classes.
At the same time I learned about Chinese culture and society from my friends and classmates, improved my Chinese through language courses and exchanged to Shanghai for one semester through the department's exchange program. All this is completed by HKUST's amazing campus which is beautifully situated at the seaside surrounded by nature while providing quick access to Hong Kong's
bustling center.
After graduation I want to work towards improving Chinese-German cooperation in the
field of high-technology and infrastructure.&
&HKUST offered me the best chance to study abroad in terms of scholarship, teaching staff and facilities. Besides, Hong Kong is always a thrilling city with a uniquely blended culture of east and west. So, there was simply no reason for me not to choose HKUST. Far away from my family, the campus was just like my
second home, and I enjoyed the hall life so much. I made wonderful friends and I certainly miss those memorable moments.
For my academic work, the major project I have done was my thesis research which was related to optical manipulation.
It was so exciting that an undergraduate student could have the opportunity to conduct his own research and with full support from faculty members.
After arriving at Yale, I realized that the
academic system here is very similar to UST. More to my surprise is that the PRS (Personal Response System) that has been employed by HKUST several years ago has only been recently adopted by Yale for teaching purpose. So, it is no doubt that HKUST is really on par and competing with top tier universities in the United States.
Thanks to the academic knowledge and research experience I have gained in UST, I was able to adapt to the hectic academic life in Yale with ease. The programming skills and hands-on experience with lab tools and electronic devices I have learned are very helpful for my current research project.
Moreover, ECE is a very broad engineering field and so it provided me with just the right insights on how to conduct interdisciplinary research.&
&Being a student in HKUST is really an unforgettable and fantastic experience in my life. I will never forget the wonderful times when I worked on projects with my teammates and brainstormed ideas with my professors. In the President's Cup 2007 competition, inspired by my FYP supervisor, my teammates and I introduced our invented searching algorithm to the judging panel and my schoolmates. In this competition, not only did we win the Silver Award, we also gained self-confidence, improved our language abilities, strengthened our friendship, and got an invaluable chance to take photos with my idol, President Paul Chu!
During my studies at ECE, I have matured a lot and built a right attitude of learning. I am deeply grateful for my professors for their experience sharing and their advice on my studies and career path.&
Mainland Students
“If you want to build the next iPhone and you don't mind pulling some all-nighters at the lab or getting to the bottom of the beautiful information theory while meeting the brightest people, ECE @ HKUST would be a great choice.”
“Four years ago, I chose HKUST over top universities in Mainland China because I was deeply attracted by the breathtaking sea view and the globalized environment here. Now I'm pretty sure that I have made the right choice, as HKUST offers tremendous opportunities both academically and culturally: the HKUST Robocon team provides the platform for students of diverse backgrounds to de the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) allows me to get involved early into research and even offers me the chance to attend an international conference to present my UROP paper. Moreover, there are lots of exchange opportunities each year, and my exchange studies in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has broadened my horizons and prepared me for my graduate studies in the US. Apart from these opportunities, professors in HKUST are all worldwide famous and always ready to answer students' questions regarding both study and life. Therefore, undergraduate studies in HKUST is not only about taking courses, but there can be more fun with projects, research, nice professors and exchange life. One more point to mention is that the sports facilities here are all free for students and I like the seaside swimming pool most.
Thanks to my academic experience in HKUST, I have been accepted by Stanford, Princeton and Harvard for graduate studies. During my PhD studies, I hope I can work towards advancing my current understanding of signal processing and wireless communications, and identify and solve problems in related areas.”
&我是房微,于2007年9月进入香港科技大学电子及计算机工程学系学习,之前毕业于北京市第四中学。
离开北京来到香港,地理和文化的差异带来了全新的生活。没有了家长的照顾,必须要适应独立的生活——活动该不该参加、应该选什么课、时间和资金怎么安排等等问题都要自己解决。科大的生活十分紧张,因为在攻读课程和处理日常生活问题之外,还有很多课外活动,比如机器人制作小组、本科生科研活动(Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program)和各种设计比赛。
在这里,锻炼自己实践能力的机会特别多。虽然取得一个中上等的成绩对于从内地来的同学来讲不算困难,但在真正实践起来,就发现自己欠缺的地方特别多,很多东西不懂,要自己去查阅资料。这个学期,我参加了机器人小组和一个电子产品设计比赛。在这两个活动中,我学到了很多课内学不到的知识和技能——大到单片机编程、简单的图像处理,小到做电线、焊组件。为了达到预想的效果,有时不得不通宵工作,十分辛苦;不过看到最后的成果时,也总会觉得那些辛苦都特别值得。
由于这里的学生数目相对较少,系里对于各种课外研究活动都会给予极大的支持,尽力扫清了一切障碍——遇到问题可以得到专家级教授的耐心指导和帮助,研究经费可以找系里报销,参加比赛系里会安排车辆接送等等。对于一个热爱自己专业的学生来说,在这里用心地生活,每一天都会得到惊喜。&
“大学四年时光匆匆,在人生的这个重要阶段,我有幸入读香港科技大学,并选择了自己心仪的电子工程专业。
作为年轻而富有活力的大学,科大提供全英文授课环境,体现北美教育理念。这里的教育不仅注重培养扎实的知识基础,更重视学生创新思维、动手能力以及团队协作精神的养成。教授们善于将自己的前沿研究融入课堂,让我们分享他们在研究过程中的思考。在Year 1的时候,我参与了亚太机器人大赛(ABU ROBOCON)。期间,工学院提供了先进的仪器设备和经费支持,李泽湘教授更时刻关注并予以指导。经过团队的努力,我们在香港获得冠军和季军,并代表香港参加了在印度举办的决赛。这段宝贵的经历也成为我在高盛面试中崭露头角的一个重要因素。科大每年都提供许多项国际交流计划。借此计划,我在Year 2到加州大学圣巴巴拉分校进行了一学期的交换学习,并由此对大洋彼岸的美国有了较全面的认识。最后一年,我有幸跟随施毅明教授做毕业设计。从对神经网络学一窍不通,到慢慢建立起视觉控制系统,教授的点拨和实验室师兄师姐的帮助使我受益匪浅,我也从中学会了如何搞研究做学问。
科大的校园生活丰富多彩,既可以享受设施一流的运动场、健身房、游泳馆,强身健体;又可以参与各种社团活动,结交好友,开展社会实践。学校经常邀请各个领域的杰出人士来演讲,让我们增长见识,活跃思维,获得多方面的启示。
科大,依山傍海,远离喧嚣,是读书的好地方;香港,作为中西桥梁和世界金融中心,亦能让我们拥有国际的视野。在科大的四年,我从老师,从同学,从香港这个大社会学到了很多东西。这一切令我为自己当初的选择而庆幸,为成为一名科大人而骄傲。”
&三年前我放弃清华和港大来到科大,期望在这个年轻自由的校园里迎接挑战和机遇,迈出走近科技前沿的第一步。一年级下我选修了李泽湘教授的机器人课程,和不同专业的同学们一起组队,亲身体验机器人的设计、制作、编程和调试,在08年全港机器人比赛中战胜来自其它院校的各支队伍,代表香港出征印度。上个学期我在潘永安教授的光电子与光纤通讯的课程中制作了一台光纤陀螺仪,实现利用调制光信号测量角速度,在一门本科课程里最大程度地感受了独立探索与实践的乐趣。这个暑假我正参与科大本科生研究计划继续跟从潘教授进行有关微米级颗粒的光学操控的研究,并希望以此为我的毕业课题打好基础。&
&在科大的生活给我感触最深的就是我们有很多的选择。我可以去海边运动场踢一场球,也可以在图书馆静静地看一本书;可以在各种社团发展我们的兴趣,服务同学,也可以在实验室中尽情的探索;假期里可以在教授的指导下参与最前沿的研究项目,也可以利用实习的机会体验真实的商场。我的选择决定了在科大我所能经历的,也决定了我在这里所能获得的。
在上个暑假,我参与了科大的本科生研究项目,在郭海成教授的指导下,通过模拟,我得到了薄膜太阳能电池的转换效率与薄膜厚度的关系。虽然结果与实际有一定差距,但是我第一次亲身体验了科学研究的过程,从查找文献,到设计实验,到最后完成实验并撰写报告。在每一步上我所学到的对我之后的学习都有非常实际的意义。
这学期我修读了潘永安教授的课程,光电子与光纤通讯。在上这门课之前,我已经修过了这个领域相关的几门课,包括半导体物理,平面显示和激光。被这些对现代社会产生了深远影响的科技深深吸引,我决定更多地了解这个领域。潘老师的课程内容非常丰富,而且课后会跟我们讲述光电子领域的历史和最新的发展。实验部分更让我们亲身体验了课上知识背后更实际的操作与更深的道理。课程的小项目中,我利用学到的知识和技能,通过阅读学术期刊的文章,自己设计,并且搭建了一个压力传感器。不管是对课程项目的时间管理上,还是在动手操作能力上,还是在写项目提议和总结的过程中,或是和师兄师姐和同学的交流中,我都受益匪浅。实验室的师兄师姐们一直给予我们帮助,潘老师在整个过程中更是一直给予我们宝贵的指导。我对这个方向产生了很大的兴趣,于是决定更进一步,在这里进行我毕业论文的研究。&
“高中毕业前我同时被内地的清华大学电子系和香港科技大学的电子及计算机工程系录取,最终促使我做出选择的是科大的国际化环境及开放的视野。全英文授课,大量的国际学术刊物杂志陈列在图书馆里,教授基本来自北美一流名校,以及丰富的本科生交流机会,这一切对于一直希望看到更广阔的世界的我来说,都有莫大的吸引力,并最终促使我来到科大这个依山傍海的美丽校园开始我的四年本科学习。
我在大二(Year 1)的时候加入了科大的robocon队,准备参加由亚洲广播电视联盟举办的一个机器人比赛。当时自己通过大一的学习,感觉自己解决具体工程问题的能力有相当欠缺,参加这样一个需要大量实际操作的比赛对提高自己的工程素质有很大好处。在一年的比赛准备过程中,我们设计并且制造了多部机器人,编写相应的程序,并且完成测试,整个过程需要大量的时间投入,最后我们收获了香港的冠军和季军。整个比赛最大的收益,是我对这个方向产生了浓厚的兴趣。我的暑期实习及毕业设计都涉及机器人领域的研究,最终我能被MIT的机器人运动实验室录取,很大程度上受益于这些研究经历。
进入MIT之后,我希望能参与机器人行走方面的研究,能够研究出更成熟,稳定,节能的机器人行走系统。”
&I am in the Rice Efficient Computing Group, and my current research area is about Mobile Systems.
Basically, the fundamental electrical and computer skills such as programming, algorithms, computer architecture and mathematics, which I have learned during my studies in the ECE Department, are vital in my current research. The courses offered by ECE are also highly relevant to my current research. However, some skills and knowledge need to be obtained by reading papers.
From my point of view, the ability of finding new problems and proposing new ideas, which I am not familiar with during my undergraduate studies, are essential in graduate school.&
&在科大的四年电子及计算机工程学系,是我成长最快的四年。学校提供给我们各种各样的机会和平时在科大所见所闻的经历,不仅让我们学到知识,而更是一种思维方式的升华,包括解决问题的途径、包容却批判地看待问题等等。科大的每门工科课程基本上都有各种贴近实际的Course Project,锻炼了运用所学知识的能力;在机器人Robocon比赛、校长杯、商业计划等大赛获奖的经历让悟出了与他人合作的重要性;在美国一学期的交换让我懂得对不同文化的包容;在微软,中金和刚成立的新公司的实习经历让我见识了最好的技术公司、最好的金融公司和最年轻的企业各自不同的管理模式。种种这些科大给我的经历,归根结底,我认为都是一种对视野的拓宽,这对我今后一生都很重要,学会怎么做事,怎么做人。&
&HKUST fulfilled my dream as a young scientist. I am grateful for the well-rounded life education and experience I have gained here. In this world-known &MIT in Asia&, I learned from world-class faculty members, who always stimulated and inspired us. In addition, we were encouraged to explore courses of our own interest outside the ECE Department. I also appreciate HKUST for providing a fertile field for undergraduates to step foot on academia research. This has been extremely crucial for my research in the graduate school. Working with top-notch faculty and hard-working graduate students in well-equipped labs, such experience inspired my way of thinking and had deep
impact on me. I am thankful for everything at HKUST.&
Postgraduate Admissions
“All the valuable skills come with pain. Embrace the pain with a more positive mindset. There are never ending opportunities step out of my comfort zone, and I am a better professional and problem solver as a result.”
&The world-class professors and open research environment in HKUST are the main reasons why I chose to pursue my MPhil degree here. As I have also obtained my undergraduate degree in HKUST, it allows me to have a better connection with my undergraduate studies, transfer overloaded credits and start my research earlier. Last year, I joined a research and development project on the latest
multimedia technology with external corporations.
The campus life is fruitful. We have the opportunity to be undergraduate hall tutors, join internship programs in global
technology firms and participate in international competitions. The training of the MPhil program is definitely useful for my future career or further studies overseas.&
&For my post in ASTRI, the main job duty is to design the interface between MAC layers and PHY layers as well as system integration testing. Strong communication skills and strong C-programming and assembly-programming background are essential for my current job.
Although my past research and current job duties are not directly related, there are some common skills I learned in the ECE Department that has helped me succeed in my career. They are: the passion to learn, ability to learn fast, and good programming style.&
&HKUST Department of ECE has been offering lots of opportunities for students to explore their interests with flexible programs. During my undergraduate studies, I have been exposed to a variety of interesting subjects in electronic engineering. This foundation helped me to pursue my postgraduate studies. I learnt not only professional knowledge but also problem analyzing and solving skills. More importantly, I found my passion in my research area and proceeded with my
advanced studies overseas. I am now a PhD candidate in the University of Rochester working on silicon photonics devices for optical communications, and I will always take my experience in HKUST as the lessons of my life.&
&Rather than explicitly laying down the facts of ECE, such as its high-ranking among universities in the world and its top-tier faculty, I think the key quality which ECE provided me (and I enjoyed most) throughout my 5-year life at HKUST is time management.
People may say that the training offered by ECE is somewhat intensive. But, if you try to flip the coin and look at the other side, intensive training also means broad exposure. Indeed, the vast opportunities that ECE has provided the students enable them to explore as much as they could and prepare them to meet the challenges ahead. Here the key trick is how you could manage to capture most of these opportunities - by managing your time and maximizing your throughput. This had a profound impact on my PhD research at UCLA. I don't think I can reach this far right now without realizing the importance of time management. I think the same attitude should apply not only to those who are interested in pursuing academic research, but also
to those who have the ambition to succeed in the industry.
&Time is what we want most, but what we use worst&.
So, work hard, and work smart!&
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
Hello! I am Mao Yuyi. It is a great honour for me to become an awardee of the Hong Kong PhD fellowship (HKPF) and share my experience here.
I have got my bachelor's degree from Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China in 2013. After which, I joined Department. of ECE, HKUST as a PhD student. HKUST is one of the leading university in Asia, famous not only for its contribution to cutting-edge research and nurturing highly qualified students, but also for its charming campus and unforgettable sea view. It is a precious opportunity for me to get admitted to HKUST for my postgraduate study. Additionally, thanks to the HKPF, my economic burden during the staying in Hong Kong is liberated, and thus I can fully concentrate myself on the study and research.
Because of the high standard requirement, students in HKUST need to work very hard and the pace of life is unimaginably fast. Fortunately, our school, departments and faculties are acting as a powerful hand, to help us step forward and get out of the difficulties. Also, they are always willing to be a pair of faithful eyes, to witness our growth in the best time of our life. In HKUST, I am focusing in the field of wireless communications. It is extremely lucky for me to work in a world-class research group, with brilliant and nice professors, and talented students as well. After one year's study, I believe HKUST is the right choice for me.
My name is YANG Peng. I got my Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Science and Technology at Wuhan University. I am now a PhD student in ECE department. I enjoy being a member of HKUST for her excellent faculties and research environment as well as its exclusive beauty. Thanks to HKUST and HKPFS, I can have the chance to meet and study together with the best students from all over the world.
My current research interests include Network-on-Chip (NoC) and Optical Network-on-Chip (ONoC). In large-scale Chip multiprocessor (CMP), which is becoming an attractive platform for applications demanding both high performance and high energy efficiency, the communication efficiency among cores is crucial for the overall system performance and energy consumption. NoC and ONoC are promising candidates to address the communication issue. I hope what I’m doing can make a contribution to the future computing system.
It’s a unique opportunity for me to be part of HKUST after I got my Bachelor’s Degree from Zhejiang University, China. Life in HKUST is wonderful and I love it! This top university in the world has impressed me a lot with the excellent faculties and leading research. Especially, ECE holds a great academic reputation over the world due to its innovation, research and education and it is continuing to shine. Thanks to HKPFS, I am concentrating on my research and have more confidence in pursuing my PhD degree. I hope my research will make a lasting contribution in engineering. After one year in HKUST, I believe that experience here is definitely precious and fruitful! Welcome to join us.
It is indeed a great opportunity for me
to get accepted into a PhD program in ECE while receiving the HKPF award. I was
interested in HKUST and HKPF for several reasons. Hong Kong is located in a
strategic location where the East meets the West, and it is playing a pivotal
role in transforming the region into a scientific and educational hub. HKUST
has been a part of the rapid transformation by rising up to become a top ranked
research university, especially in the engineering discipline. I get to work
with top notch faculty and develop my research skills while getting an exposure
to the Chinese culture.
My current research interests include
Computational neuroscience, Biologically motivated vision and learning. The
great thing about being an HKPF awardee is that, you are more financially
comfortable so that you can focus on research while enjoying your stay in Hong
Kong. I believe having good grades at UG level with some research exposure and
extracurricular activities helped me to secure the award.
HK certainly is a vibrant and attractive city
to live and learn! I hope that I could make a fair contribution to science and
continue to have a great time within the next few years as a PhD student!
name is Ahmed and I am from Pakistan. I completed my undergraduate studies in
2006 at NED University of Engineering and Technology, one of the oldest and
esteemed engineering universities of Pakistan. The aptitude of facing difficult
problems and the satisfaction after solving them drove me to the field of
research and in late 2006, I joined King Fahd University of Petroleum &
Minerals (KFUPM), Saudi Arabia, as a research assistant and obtained my MS
degree in Electrical Engineering. My thesis resulted in 1 US patent, 1 book
chapter, 2 journal papers and& 5 conference papers in top journals and
conferences in the field of signal processing and communication. I worked as a
lecturer in Electrical Engineering department at KFUPM to enhance my teaching
skills while continuing my research work. Thus besides teaching, I got involved
in many research projects that helped me to learn signal processing tools that
could be applied in various fields.
working for four years as lecturer, I decided to pursue my PhD studies and
started applying to different universities. My preference was to get admission
in a top university in Asia due to personal constraints. I selected HKUST as it
was the optimal choice for the following two reasons. First, HKUST is one of the
top-ranked universities in the field of Electrical Engineering and has an
excellent, highly reputed, and multi-disciplinary faculty. Second, I was
successful in securing the prestigious HKPF based on my academic qualifications
and research experience.
After joining HKUST, under the supervision of
Dr. Matthew McKay, I decided to challenge myself by working in a completely
different multi-disciplinary field – computational medicine – in which I study
many immunology-related problems and use different statistical signal
processing tools to come up with potential vaccines against viruses. Currently,
I am working on Hepatitis C Virus and Influenza. My stay at HKUST has been very
pleasant and I am enjoying doing my research, thanks to the friendly and highly
supportive attitude of my supervisor and the dynamic environment of the
university. I hope that I can make some significant contributions by my
research for the welfare of humanity in general and for the people of Hong Kong
in particular.
graduated from Nanjing University, China with Bachelor’s Degree in EE. Actually
it’s been two years since I joined HKUST. During this period of studying, I got
a deep look at Hong Kong, and also HKUST. Hong Kong is an international city
combining both Chinese and western cultures. For us mainland China students,
Hong Kong is close to us in both physical and psychical distances. Also it’s
very convenient to go overseas from Hong Kong, in terms of academic
conferences, research visiting and exchange, and internship. The universities in
Hong Kong are young but grow very fast. HKUST now becomes one of the best
universities in Asia and especially the School of engineering holds a good
academic reputation over the world. HKPF is an amazing fellowship for new RPGs.
It offers solid financial support so that we could focus our attention on
research. HKPF is also an honorable award that approves your past achievement
and increases your confidence.
&I’m Li Liang, a mainland awardee of HKPFS from UESTC. My major is IC design and about a year ago, I heard about HKPFS. At that time, like many of my classmates who were applying to graduate schools outside mainland China, I was wandering around different university websites.
HKUST was one of my target universities because of its good research reputation in engineering in Asia.
In addition, Hong Kong’s advantage of exposing myself to international atmosphere and standards without being too far away from home was very attractive to me. When I was doing online application, I saw the HKPFS banner on the webpage. Through reading the introduction and asking my friend who was already a postgraduate student in HKUST, I decided to apply for it. Frankly speaking, I lacked confidence at that time because HKPFS only selects the best students with potentials of future achievement from all over the world and no more than 200 out of thousands of applicants have the chance to be awarded. Although I was not confident, I decided on, “if it doesn’t take much time, why not give it a try”. So I submitted my application. Months later, it turned out to be a success. I can still remember the exciting feeling when I got the email stating that I was awarded the HKPF.
Looking back now, I think good undergraduate academic performance and my undergraduate research experience contributed the most to my successful application and this successful application also increased my confidence somehow. Thanks to the HKPFS and the ECE Department, I am now very happy as a member of the ECE big family and working hard to realize my dream step by step at being an excellent researcher in IC design.
You won’t know how far you can go unless you step out and try. HKPFS will help you and won’t let you down!&
&I’m YANG Fan. I graduated from Zhejiang University, China, with a Bachelor’s Degree and entered ECE, HKUST in fall, 2011. Besides outstanding academic performance and research experience, I also won some national and international awards, which became solid foundations for me to apply for the HKPF. I thought HKUST was a place where I believed I could better realize my dream: to maintain a green and efficient life for society, as it has the best professors, state-of-the-art facilities and top students with similar dreams from all over the world. I’m new in HKUST, but I felt the beauty of it at first sight and began to know more about its advantages in all aspects. Within a reasonable timeframe, on this beautiful campus, I can focus and plan my life in accordance with my research in IC Design.&
&Hello, my name is Chen Shibo. I'm from the University of Science and Technology of China.
After living in HKUST for a period of time, I now feel it's a really great place. Although it's young, it has been one of the top-class universities in the world. As for the ECE Department, with such an outstanding group of faculty and so many talented students around, I believe everyone here will have a prominent career in the future.
Actually it's been a long time since I first dreamed about studying in HK. Thanks to the HKPFS, my dream has finally come true. With this fellowship, I won't worry about the cost of living any more so I can focus on my research and try my best to make some achievements here.
Anyway, welcome to HKUST! Welcome to ECE!&
&Just graduated from Xi’an Jiaotong University, I’m really very lucky to have the opportunity to continue my study in HKUST, a university full of energy and miracles. As a young student with ambitions, I hope to devote all my passions to my study, my research area and my life.
The technology of wireless communication can bring much convenience to people’s daily life, and has been widely used in communication, transportation, news media and other aspects. Wireless communication and networking is one of the most renowned areas of excellence in HKUST. I believe my research work here will enable me to make contribution to this discipline as well as humankind.
HKPFS gives me a very strong support in economy so that I can concentrate my efforts on my research. What’s more, in the gathering of HKPF awardees, I can also make friends with the excellent people from all over the world.
In HKUST, there are many excellent supervisors and brilliant, hard-working students. I trust I’ll gain a lot working together with the people who cherish the same ideas and follow the same path. I wish we can together contribute towards the next miracle of the university.&
&My name is LI Cheng and I’m from Shandong province. I got my Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering at Zhejiang University. Now my PhD program in the ECE Department at HKUST is setting sail. The field of automation and robotics really catches my interest with its cool technologies and wonderful future, so I choose robotics as my specialty, wishing that people will live more conveniently and have colorful lives with the help of robots.
In my opinion, HKPFS is more than a kind of scholarship. I view it as an honor of the best students with potential to get higher achievement in the world. As a student who aims high, surely I wanted to challenge myself and applied for HKPFS.
Hong Kong is a magic place. It keeps up with the pace of the latest improvements all over the world, while the connection between Hong Kong and mainland China can be so close. HKUST has one of the best academic environments which will really promote the research of any professors and postgraduate students. Moreover, HKUST ranks No. 1 in all Asian universities. So I choose to pursue my PhD degree here.&
&Hong Kong is an amazing city that every prospective graduate student might look forward to. The universities in Hong Kong stand out for their ample resources and international atmosphere. HKUST is one of the top universities in Asia and especially its Engineering School holds a fantastic reputation throughout the world. There are many globally renowned scholars and experts, well-developed research network linking Mainland China, Europe and the United States. HKPFS offers a remarkable fund covering all the expense of living and learning in HKUST and many opportunities of meeting other awarded candidates who are elites in their respective research areas. During my studies, I can attend conferences supported by the travel allowance in the fellowship. This award renders me to concentrate on my research without considering financial issues and pushes me towards being an outstanding scholar in the future.&
&I obtained my Bachelor's degree from Peking University in 2008. After fulfilling my MPhil study at the ECE of HKUST in 2010, I was determined to continue to pursue my PhD degree at this university. The encouraging environment here for creativity, critical thinking and global outlook has enhanced my development greatly. I strongly believe that it will lay a solid foundation for my future career.&
&My name is Dai Wei from Zhejiang University. Now I am a PhD student and my research interest is in video coding. It was really a coincidence to learn about the HKPFS in HK. Once I knew about such a fellowship, I made up my mind to apply for this fellowship within a second because of the reasons below:
First of all, this fellowship really provides a lot of money such that I can focus on my research without worrying about other things.
Second, Hong Kong is really a wonderful place for me to study especially in HKUST which is really an excellent school. Third, I think Hong Kong is a well known international city where I can broaden my views and experience more compared to other places.
It is almost one year since I came to HK. I think HKPFS has really helped me a lot in pursuing mu studies in this year. Moreover, this award enabled me to make a lot of other friends in the university which is really exciting.&
“I came to the ECE Department, HKUST to study as a PhD student in the semiconductor device technology after my undergraduate study in mechanical engineering. Engaging with people of different backgrounds and areas who may have different manners and philosophy in conducting research is of benefit to all of us. Undoubtedly the ECE Department of HKUST is one of the world's most active and advanced centers for microelectronics research. HKUST is a compactly designed young university which is rushing towards new miracles and the Fellowship Scheme is a great support for research and international activities.”
&I am a PhD candidate in the Integrated Power Electronics Laboratory of the ECE Department, under the supervision of Prof Philip Mok.
I chose to further study in Hong Kong as it is the world city of a growing Asia, where many great minds come to share their ideas. I specifically chose HKUST as it offers one of the finest IC design research programs in the world, proven by its consistent publication records in top IEEE journals and conferences. I am grateful for the generous award of HKPFS as it solves my financial worries to study in this expensive city.&
&I am Shu YANG, a PhD candidate in the ECE Department, under the supervision of Prof. Kevin J. CHEN. I have been honored with HKPF in . I have been making great progress in the research field and am enjoying life here. I must emphasize that studying in the HKUST has always been a dream of mine. With extraordinary professors, advanced facilities, excellent peers, wonderful academic atmosphere, I think I can absolutely tap into my potential and explore the unknown world. HKPF has greatly helped me in both life and research, making me focus on my research field and providing more opportunities to communicate with professors and peers.&
“I received the HKPF and joined the ECE department in HKUST in September 2010. HKUST provides a dynamic research environment to faculties and students. If you come to ECE, you will find that there are a lot of smart, energetic and responsible faculties around you. From them you will not only learn how to do research but also how to prepare yourself for future development.
The school organizes tea gathering for HKPF awardees every semester and provides us with the chance to make friends from different areas. I have benefited a lot from talking to them.
I am Lining Zhang and strongly recommend you to come to ECE@HKUST.”
&Hi, I am ZHANG Weibin, a second year PhD student in the ECE department.
I come from Guangdong province, China. I spent nearly 10 years in Shanghai, pursuing my bachelor degree and working.
After working for a company for about 2 years, I found that it was very boring.
Besides, I dreamed about going back somewhere near my hometown so that I could take care of my parents much better.
One day, one of my good friends told me that there was a prestigious award –HKPF—in Hong Kong. I decided to try it.
One of the key things was to choose which school to go to. Apparently, excellent faculty is very important. However, I also liked to study somewhere near the seaside. Thus I chose HKUST. Fortunately, I was one of the 135 lucky guys that were in the first batch of awardees of the HKPF. After two years of study in HKUST, I found that life here is somewhat different from what I thought before.
Because of the high expectation of the department as well as my supervisor, I feel much pressure here. Maybe you should check another meaning for HKUST before coming here. If you want to challenge yourself and do something really good, come here. Hope to meet you here and be your friend!&

我要回帖

更多关于 flex states 的文章

随机推荐